Something in an email yesterday caught my eye. It labelled 3 elements of wellbeing; mental health, physical health and financial health. It was particularly timely and interesting from my perspective because yesterday I was blogging about my weight (an element of physical health) and finances.
These 3 elements are intrinsically linked. And here’s a few bullet points of what these things mean to me.
- Belonging and connecting with those around you, maintaining good relationships
- Being self-aware of both emotions and mental state
- Having a mixture of time with others and time alone
- Being relaxed whilst having a degree of good stress for motivation
- Not overworking
- Recognising when things are off-kilter and taking positive action to resolve
- Eating well, good nutrition, not over-eating
- Regular exercise (walking, yoga, running, swimming)
- Getting enough sleep
- Having enough savings for an emergency
- Living within one’s means.
- Having a good understanding of one’s financial position.
- Having a long term financial plan
- Being in control of finances (payments in and out)
I am sure there are a lot more comprehensive blog posts on these subjects than this one. But having a simple model is often useful. And thinking about wellness as consisting initially of these three components is useful to me.
As far as the relationship between them goes;
- Physical health aids mental health
- If your in a good frame of mind you’re more likely to exercise
- If you’re finances are in good shape, this is one less mental stress
- If you’re finances are ok, and are more financially self-sufficient you’ll have more time to exercise
I wish good mental, physical and financial health for me, my family and anyone reading this post.